September 08, 2022– Carlisle, PA: Each year, in October, advocates, survivors and supporters recognize October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM).
This fall, our agency is joining the National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV) and the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence (PCADV) in their national combined campaign for Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM) and GiveForDV.
The goal of these two joint initiatives is to start a coordinated national conversation about domestic violence and how we can all contribute to changing the narrative on this overshadowed, but fundamental topic, then build on that conversation to raise awareness, increase donations and volunteer efforts, and deepen community engagement by connecting our work nationwide.
More prevalent than most realize, one in four women and one in seven men will experience domestic violence in their lifetimes. Anyone, regardless of gender, race, sexual identity or orientation, or socio-economic status, can become a victim of domestic violence. This year’s campaign theme, #Every1KnowsSome1, strives to highlight how common domestic violence is and that it is more than physical violence.
Throughout October and November, DVSCP will be sharing content on our social media channels to help raise awareness and educate the public on the complex dynamics of domestic violence. A week of action is planned for October 16-22, designed to engage advocates, partners, and the public in starting a national conversation.
There will also be two official GiveForDV Giving Days—one during the DVAM Week of Action on October 19, and one on GivingTuesday on November 29. Supporters can get involved by finding their state coalition and local program at https://givefordv.nnedv.org/
Free and confidential help is available 24/7 for individuals experiencing domestic violence. Those seeking help may contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at TheHotline.org or 1.800.799.SAFE (7233). Residents of Cumberland and Perry Counties may call our agency’s hotline directly at 1.800.852.2102. All our services are free and confidential.
DVSCP also encourages those interested to attend one or more of the following DVAM events. Additional information for each event can be found on the DVSCP website at www.dvscp.org/events.
- Paint the Town Purple – DVSCP will be hanging purple ribbons around Downtown Carlisle to help raise awareness. If you’d like a purple ribbon to hang on your door or tree, contact Tasha Frey at email@example.com.
- Carlisle Theatre’s production of ‘Blackbird: The Past Returns, Taunting.’ The play will be performed October 6 and 7th at 7:00p.m. The Theatre will be accepting donations for DVSCP in lieu of ticket sales. Check out the event listing. **Rated R | TW includes sexual abuse of a child, strong language, and raw descriptions of physical abuse. This is not suitable for children.**
- Cumberland County Speaks: A Domestic Violence Panel, Tuesday, October 11, 6:00 pm – facebook.com/CumberlandCountyPaCommissionForWomen
- DVSCP’s Annual Candlelight Vigil, Thursday, October 13, 6:00-7:00 pm at the Camp Hill Borough Building.
- #PurpleThursday – Wear purple on Thursday, October 20 to support survivors. Take a picture and tag DVSCP’s Facebook and/or Instagram accounts!